MATERIALS AND METHODS
Isolation of primary human trophoblasts and separation of vCTBs and EVTs
Bioinformatics analysis of RNA-seq data
qRT-PCR and Western blot
Immunofluorescence of placental tissue sections
siRNA-mediated gene silencing
Samples from idiopathic RSAs
Differential regulation of cholesterol homeostasis in vCTBs and EVTs
EVTs display increased cholesterol levels
EVTs show altered expression of genes mediating cholesterol uptake, synthesis, and efflux
The LXR-ABCA1 axis regulates progesterone secretion in EVTs
EVT-associated expression of HSD3B1 is reduced in RSAs
- Ancelin M.
- Buteau-Lozano H.
- Meduri G.
- Osborne-Pellegrin M.
- Sordello S.
- Plouet J.
- Perrot-Applanat M.
- Christiansen-Weber T.A.
- Voland J.R.
- Wu Y.
- Ngo K.
- Roland B.L.
- Nguyen S.
- Peterson P.A.
- Fung-Leung W.P.
- Brosens J.J.
- Hodgetts A.
- Feroze-Zaidi F.
- Sherwin J.R.
- Fusi L.
- Salker M.S.
- Higham J.
- Rose G.L.
- Kajihara T.
- Young S.L.
- et al.
- Saccone G.
- Schoen C.
- Franasiak J.M.
- Scott Jr., R.T.
- Berghella V.
- Epithelial-mesenchymal transition during extravillous trophoblast differentiation.Cell Adh. Migr. 2016; 10: 310-321
- Human placental trophoblast invasion and differentiation: a particular focus on Wnt signaling.Front. Genet. 2013; 4: 190
- Evidence for immune cell involvement in decidual spiral arteriole remodeling in early human pregnancy.Am. J. Pathol. 2009; 174: 1959-1971
- Invasive trophoblasts stimulate vascular smooth muscle cell apoptosis by a fas ligand-dependent mechanism.Am. J. Pathol. 2006; 169: 1863-1874
- Review: Trophoblast-vascular cell interactions in early pregnancy: how to remodel a vessel.Placenta. 2010; 31: S93-S98
- Extravillous trophoblast invasion of venous as well as lymphatic vessels is altered in idiopathic, recurrent, spontaneous abortions.Hum. Reprod. 2017; 32: 1208-1217
- The uterine spiral arteries in human pregnancy: facts and controversies.Placenta. 2006; 27: 939-958
- Human HLA-G+ extravillous trophoblasts: Immune-activating cells that interact with decidual leukocytes.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 2015; 112: 7219-7224
- Placental syncytium forms a biophysical barrier against pathogen invasion.PLoS Pathog. 2013; 9: e1003821
- Pregnancy-associated diamine oxidase originates from extravillous trophoblasts and is decreased in early-onset preeclampsia.Sci. Rep. 2018; 8: 6342
- The role of the spiral arteries in the pathogenesis of preeclampsia.Obstet. Gynecol. Annu. 1972; 1: 177-191
- Role of placenta in preeclampsia.Endocrine. 2002; 19: 103-111
- Cellular cholesterol trafficking and compartmentalization.Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 2008; 9: 125-138
- Maternal and fetal lipid metabolism under normal and gestational diabetic conditions.Horm. Mol. Biol. Clin. Investig. 2016; 26: 109-127
- Maternal-fetal nutrient transport in pregnancy pathologies: the role of the placenta.Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2014; 15: 16153-16185
- Function and control of human invasive trophoblast subtypes: intrinsic vs. maternal control.Cell Adh. Migr. 2016; 10: 154-162
- Variable NK cell receptors and their MHC class I ligands in immunity, reproduction and human evolution.Nat. Rev. Immunol. 2013; 13: 133-144
- Genome amplification and cellular senescence are hallmarks of human placenta development.PLoS Genet. 2018; 14: e1007698
- Notch1 controls development of the extravillous trophoblast lineage in the human placenta.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 2016; 113: E7710-E7719
- TopHat: discovering splice junctions with RNA-Seq.Bioinformatics. 2009; 25: 1105-1111
- Ultrafast and memory-efficient alignment of short DNA sequences to the human genome.Genome Biol. 2009; 10: R25
- Transcript assembly and quantification by RNA-Seq reveals unannotated transcripts and isoform switching during cell differentiation.Nat. Biotechnol. 2010; 28: 511-515
- WebGestalt 2019: gene set analysis toolkit with revamped UIs and APIs.Nucleic Acids Res. 2019; 47: W199-W205
- The Molecular Signatures Database (MSigDB) hallmark gene set collection.Cell Syst. 2015; 1: 417-425
- WEB-based gene set analysis toolkit (WebGestalt): update 2013.Nucleic Acids Res. 2013; 41: W77-W83
- Endoplasmic reticulum stress impairs cholesterol efflux and synthesis in hepatic cells.J. Lipid Res. 2014; 55: 94-103
- Isolation of somatic cell mutants with defects in the endocytosis of low-density lipoprotein.Methods Enzymol. 1986; 129: 227-237
- The unfolded protein response is a negative regulator of scavenger receptor class B, type I (SR-BI) expression.Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 2016; 479: 557-562
- Sterol-dependent transactivation of the ABC1 promoter by the liver X receptor/retinoid X receptor.J. Biol. Chem. 2000; 275: 28240-28245
- LXR regulates cholesterol uptake through Idol-dependent ubiquitination of the LDL receptor.Science. 2009; 325: 100-104
- Progesterone synthesis by the human placenta.Placenta. 2005; 26: 273-281
- Regulation of expression of the 3 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases of human placenta and fetal adrenal.J. Steroid Biochem. Mol. Biol. 1993; 47: 151-159
- Probucol inhibits ABCA1-mediated cellular lipid efflux.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2004; 24: 2345-2350
- Placentation defects are highly prevalent in embryonic lethal mouse mutants.Nature. 2018; 555: 463-468
- Progesterone-regulated endometrial factors controlling implantation.Am. J. Reprod. Immunol. 2016; 75: 237-245
- Villous culture of first trimester human placenta–model to study extravillous trophoblast (EVT) differentiation.Placenta. 1992; 13: 439-461
- Invasive trophoblast promote stromal fibroblast decidualization via Profilin 1 and ALOX5.Sci. Rep. 2017; 7: 8690
- Vascular effects of progesterone: role of cellular calcium regulation.Hypertension. 2001; 37: 142-147
- The putative roles of nuclear and membrane-bound progesterone receptors in the female reproductive tract.Reprod. Biol. 2013; 13: 279-289
- A dynamic shift of VEGF isoforms with a transient and selective progesterone-induced expression of VEGF189 regulates angiogenesis and vascular permeability in human uterus.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 2002; 99: 6023-6028
- Neutrophils induce proangiogenic T cells with a regulatory phenotype in pregnancy.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 2016; 113: E8415-E8424
- Scavenger receptor class BI and selective cholesteryl ester uptake: partners in the regulation of steroidogenesis.Mol. Cell. Endocrinol. 2002; 195: 1-26
- The HDL receptor SR-BI is associated with human prostate cancer progression and plays a possible role in establishing androgen independence.Reprod. Biol. Endocrinol. 2015; 13: 88
- Functional loss of ABCA1 in mice causes severe placental malformation, aberrant lipid distribution, and kidney glomerulonephritis as well as high-density lipoprotein cholesterol deficiency.Am. J. Pathol. 2000; 157: 1017-1029
- Liver X receptors: a possible link between lipid disorders and female infertility.Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2018; 19: E2177
- Proteomic analysis of endometrium from fertile and infertile patients suggests a role for apolipoprotein A-I in embryo implantation failure and endometriosis.Mol. Hum. Reprod. 2010; 16: 273-285
- Liver X receptors in lipid signalling and membrane homeostasis.Nat. Rev. Endocrinol. 2018; 14: 452-463
- Activation of LXR increases acyl-CoA synthetase activity through direct regulation of ACSL3 in human placental trophoblast cells.J. Lipid Res. 2010; 51: 1886-1896
- Placental ABCA1 and ABCG1 transporters efflux cholesterol and protect trophoblasts from oxysterol induced toxicity.Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 2010; 1801: 1013-1024
- Expression and localization pattern of ABCA1 in diverse human placental primary cells and tissues.Placenta. 2011; 32: 420-430
- Expression and localization of ATP binding cassette transporter A1 (ABCA1) in first trimester and term human placenta.Placenta. 2010; 31: 423-430
- Placental expression of the nuclear receptors for oxysterols LXRalpha and LXRbeta during mouse and human development.Anat. Rec. A Discov. Mol. Cell. Evol. Biol. 2005; 283: 175-181
- The liver X receptor (LXR) and its target gene ABCA1 are regulated upon low oxygen in human trophoblast cells: a reason for alterations in preeclampsia?.Placenta. 2010; 31: 910-918
- Placental ABCA1 and ABCG1 expression in gestational disease: pre-eclampsia affects ABCA1 levels in syncytiotrophoblasts.Placenta. 2013; 34: 1079-1086
- Expression of liver X receptors in pregnancies complicated by preeclampsia.Placenta. 2010; 31: 818-824
- The liver x receptor in correlation with other nuclear receptors in spontaneous and recurrent abortions.PPAR Res. 2013; 2013: 575604
- The influence of ligand-activated LXR on primary human trophoblasts.Placenta. 2014; 35: 919-924
- An oxysterol signalling pathway mediated by the nuclear receptor LXR alpha.Nature. 1996; 383: 728-731
- On the formation and possible biological role of 25-hydroxycholesterol.Biochimie. 2013; 95: 455-460
- Liver X receptors regulate adrenal steroidogenesis and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal feedback.Mol. Endocrinol. 2007; 21: 126-137
- Inhibition of progesterone production in human luteinized granulosa cells treated with LXR agonists.Mol. Hum. Reprod. 2007; 13: 373-379
- Molecular biology of the 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/delta5-delta4 isomerase gene family.Endocr. Rev. 2005; 26: 525-582
- Supplementation with progestogens in the first trimester of pregnancy to prevent miscarriage in women with unexplained recurrent miscarriage: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized, controlled trials.Fertil. Steril. 2017; 107: 430-438.e3
- New insights into the mechanisms underlying recurrent pregnancy loss.J. Obstet. Gynaecol. Res. . 2019; 45: 258-265
This study was supported by Austrian Science Fund Grants P25763-B13 (to C.R.) and P31470-B30 (to M.K.) and Austrian National Bank Grant 17613 (Jubiläumsfonds, to J.P.). A.E.U. receives support as a Tashia and John Morgridge Faculty Scholar, Stanford Child Health Research Institute. The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest with the contents of the article.
The online version of this article (available at http://www.jlr.org) contains a supplement.
2 Present address of R. L. Hannibal: Microbiology Department, Second Genome, South San Francisco, CA.
The RNA sequencing data in this publication have been deposited in NCBI's Gene Expression Omnibus (Vondra et al., 2019) and are accessible through GEO Series accession number GSE126530 (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/geo/query/acc.cgi?acc=GSE126530).
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy