HISTORY OF DEVELOPMENT
ESSENTIAL FEATURES OF A HIGH-SPEED CARS MICROSCOPE
Near IR laser excitation
Collinear beam geometry
Forward-detection versus epi- (i.e., backward-) detection
Laser-scanning on a confocal microscope platform
Multimodal NLO imaging
Coupling CARS imaging with spontaneous Raman spectroscopy
APPLICATIONS OF CARS MICROSCOPY TO LIPID BIOLOGY
Study of lipid droplet biology
Study of lipid metabolism in C. elegans
- Morck C.
- Olsen L.
- Kurth C.
- Persson A.
- Storm N.J.
- Svensson E.
- Jansson J.O.
- Hellqvist M.
- Enejder A.
- Faergeman N.J.
- et al.
Detection of atherosclerosis by CARS-based multimodal microscopy
CARS imaging of intestinal lipid absorption
Study of lipids in cancer development
- Iyengar P.
- Combs T.P.
- Shah S.J.
- Gouon-Evans V.
- Pollard J.W.
- Albanese C.
- Flanagan L.
- Tenniswood M.P.
- Guha C.
- Lisanti M.P.
- et al.
Study of skin biology
Study of myelin diseases
- Membrane lipids: where they are and how they behave.Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 2008; 9: 112-124
- Myelin Biology and its Disorders.Elsevier Academic Press, San Diego, CA2004
- SnapShot: Lipid droplets.Cell. 2009; 139 (e1021): 1024
- Biologically active sphingolipids in cancer pathogenesis and treatment.Nat. Rev. Cancer. 2004; 4: 604-616
- Lipid signalling in disease.Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 2008; 9: 162-176
- Obesity as a medical problem.Nature. 2000; 404: 635-643
- Abdominal obesity and metabolic syndrome.Nature. 2006; 444: 881-887
- LC-MS-based method for the qualitative and quantitative analysis of complex lipid mixtures.J. Lipid Res. 2006; 47: 804-814
- Lipid rafts and signal transduction.Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 2000; 1: 31-39
- Fluorescent lipid probes: some properties and applications (a review).Chem. Phys. Lipids. 2002; 116: 3-18
- Polyene-lipids: a new tool to image lipids.Nat. Methods. 2005; 2: 39-45
- Fluorescent detection of lipid droplets and associated proteins.Curr. Protoc. Cell Biol. 2007; 35: 24.22.11-24.22.21
- Large-scale fluid/fluid phase separation of proteins and lipids in giant plasma membrane vesicles.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 2007; 104: 3165-3170
- Raman spectroscopy of protein and nucleic acid assemblies.Annu. Rev. Biomol. Struct. 1999; 28: 1-27
- Ultrasensitive chemical analysis by Raman spectroscopy.Chem. Rev. 1999; 99: 2957-2976
- Raman spectroscopy and microscopy of individual cells and cellular components.Laser Photon Rev. 2008; 2: 325-349
- Raman and CARS microspectroscopy of cells and tissues.Analyst (Lond.). 2009; 134: 1046-1057
- Coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy: instrumentation, theory, and applications.J. Phys. Chem. B. 2004; 108: 827-840
- Principles of Nonlinear Optical Spectroscopy.Oxford University Press, New York1995
- Laser-scanning coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy and applications to cell biology.Biophys. J. 2002; 83: 502-509
- Chemical imaging of tissue in vivo with video-rate coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 2005; 102: 16807-16812
- Theoretical and experimental characterization of coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy.J. Opt. Soc. Am. B. 2002; 19: 1363-1375
- Coherent anti-Stokes Raman Scattering microscopy.Appl. Spectrosc. 2007; 61: 197a-208a
- Coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy.Chem. Phys. Chem. 2007; 8: 2157-2170
- Coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy: chemically selective imaging for biology and medicine.Annu. Rev. Anal. Chem. 2008; 1: 883-909
- Non-linear optical imaging of obesity-related health risks.J. Innov. Opt. Health Sci. 2009; 2 ([Review]): 9-25
- Chasing lipids in health and diseases by coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy.Vib. Spectrosc. 2009; 50: 160-167
- Study of optical effects due to an induced polarization third order in the electric field strength.Phys. Rev. 1965; 137: A801-A818
- Coherent anti-Stokes Raman spectroscopy.Appl. Phys. Lett. 1974; 25: 387-390
- Introduction to Nonlinear Laser Spectroscopy.Academic Press, San Diego1988
- Scanning coherent anti-Stokes Raman microscope.Opt. Lett. 1982; 7: 350-352
- Three-dimensional vibrational imaging by coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering.Phys. Rev. Lett. 1999; 82: 4142-4145
- Characterization of photodamage in coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy.Opt. Express. 2006; 14: 3942-3951
- Broadly tunable dual-wavelength light source for coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy.Opt. Lett. 2006; 31: 1292-1294
- Polarization coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy.Opt. Lett. 2001; 26: 1341-1343
- Molecular vibration imaging in the fingerprint region by use of coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy with a collinear configuration.Opt. Lett. 2000; 25: 1768-1770
- Effect of pulse duration on two-photon excited fluorescence and second harmonic generation in nonlinear optical microscopy.J. Biomed. Opt. 2006; 11: 020501-020503
- All-fiber CARS microscopy of live cells.Opt. Express. 2009; 17: 20700-20706
- A multimodal platform for nonlinear optical microscopy and microspectroscopy.Opt. Express. 2009; 17: 1282-1290
- Vibrational imaging of lipid droplets in live fibroblast cells with coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy.J. Lipid Res. 2003; 44: 2202-2208
- Coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering imaging of axonal myelin in live spinal tissues.Biophys. J. 2005; 89: 581-591
- Vibrational imaging with high sensitivity via epidetected coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy.Phys. Rev. Lett. 2001; 87: 23901
- In vivo coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering imaging of sciatic nerve tissue.J. Microsc. 2007; 225: 175-182
- Ex vivoin vivo imaging of myelin fibers in mouse brain by coherent anti-Stokes Raman microscopy.Opt. Express. 2008; 16: 19396-19409
- Second harmonic and sum frequency generation imaging of fibrous astroglial filaments in ex vivo spinal tissues.Biophys. J. 2007; 92: 3251-3259
- Coherent scattering in multi-harmonic light microscopy.Biophys. J. 2001; 80: 1568-1574
- High-speed vibrational imaging and spectral analysis of lipid bodies by compound Raman microscopy.J. Phys. Chem. B. 2009; 113: 7681-7686
- Label-free quantitative analysis of lipid metabolism in living Caenorhabditis elegans.J. Lipid Res. 2010; 51: 672-677
- Lipid droplets: a unified view of a dynamic organelle.Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 2006; 7: 373-378
- Lipid droplets finally get a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T.Cell. 2009; 139: 855-860
- The biogenesis and functions of lipid bodies in animals, plants and microorganisms.Prog. Lipid Res. 2001; 40: 325-438
- Triglyceride accumulation protects against fatty acid-induced lipotoxicity.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 2003; 100: 3077-3082
- Lipid traffic: floppy drives and a superhighway.Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 2005; 6: 209-220
- The lipid droplet is an important organelle for hepatitis C virus production.Nat. Cell Biol. 2007; 9: 1089-1097
- Thematic review series: adipocyte biology. The perilipin family of structural lipid droplet proteins: stabilization of lipid droplets and control of lipolysis.J. Lipid Res. 2007; 48: 2547-2559
- Functional conservation for lipid storage droplet association among Perilipin, ADRP, and TIP47 (PAT)-related proteins in mammals, Drosophila, and Dictyostelium.J. Biol. Chem. 2002; 277: 32253-32257
- Nonperturbative chemical imaging of organelle transport in living cells with coherent anti-stokes Raman scattering microscopy.Biophys. J. 2006; 91: 728-735
- CGI-58 facilitates lipolysis on lipid droplets but is not involved in the vesiculation of lipid droplets caused by hormonal stimulation.J. Lipid Res. 2007; 48: 1078-1089
- Single-cell profiling reveals the origin of phenotypic variability in adipogenesis.PLoS ONE. 2009; 4: e5189
- Direct imaging of the disruption of hepatitis C virus replication complexes by inhibitors of lipid metabolism.Virology. 2009; 394: 130-142
- Finding function in novel targets: C-elegans as a model organism.Nat. Rev. Drug Discov. 2006; 5: 387-398
- Obesity and the regulation of fat metabolism.The C. elegans Research Community, WormBook, 2007 (In WormBook, ed)
- Something worth dyeing for: molecular tools for the dissection of lipid metabolism in Caenorhabditis elegans.FEBS Lett. 2010; 584: 2183-2193
- C-elegans fat storage and metabolic regulation.Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 2009; 1791: 474-478
- C-elegans: a model for exploring the genetics of fat storage.Dev. Cell. 2003; 4: 131-142
- The influence of bacterial diet on fat storage in C. elegans.PLoS ONE. 2009; 4: e7545
- Monitoring of lipid storage in Caenorhabditis elegans using coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering (CARS) microscopy.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 2007; 104: 14658-14663
- The autofluorescent “lipofuscin granules” in the intestinal cells of Caenorhabditis elegans are secondary lysosomes.Mech. Ageing Dev. 1986; 35: 79-94
- Rapid accumulation of fluorescent material with aging in an oxygen-sensitive mutant mev-1 of Caenorhabditis elegans.Mech. Ageing Dev. 1994; 74: 161-170
- Genetic dissection of polyunsaturated fatty acid synthesis in Caenorhabditis elegans.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 2002; 99: 5854-5859
- Statins inhibit protein lipidation and induce the unfolded protein response in the non-sterol producing nematode Caenorhabditis elegans.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 2009; 106: 18285-18290
- C. elegans major fats are stored in vesicles distinct from lysosome-related organelles.Cell Metab. 2009; 10: 430-435
- Genome-scale analysis of in vivo spatiotemporal promoter activity in Caenorhabditis elegans.Nat. Biotechnol. 2007; 25: 663-668
- Automated on-chip rapid microscopy, phenotyping and sorting of C. elegans.Nat. Methods. 2008; 5: 637-643
- Molecular, cellular and functional imaging of atherothrombosis.Nat. Rev. Drug Discov. 2004; 3: 913-925
- Predicting plaque rupture: enhancing diagnosis and clinical decision-making in coronary artery disease.Vasc. Med. 2000; 5: 163-172
- From vulnerable plaque to vulnerable patient: a call for new definitions and risk assessment strategies: Part I.Circulation. 2003; 108: 1664-1672
- Label-free molecular imaging of atherosclerotic lesions using multimodal nonlinear optical microscopy.J. Biomed. Opt. 2007; 12: 054007
- Label-free imaging of arterial cells and extracellular matrix using a multimodal CARS microscope.Opt. Commun. 2008; 281: 1813-1822
- Imaging and quantitative analysis of atherosclerotic lesions by CARS-based multimodal nonlinear optical microscopy.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2009; 29: 1342-1348
- Multimodal CARS microscopy determination of the impact of diet on macrophage infiltration and lipid accumulation on plaque formation in ApoE-deficient mice.J. Lipid Res. 2010; (In press)
- Multiplex coherent anti-Stokes Raman spectroscopy images intact atheromatous lesions and concomitantly identifies distinct chemical profiles of atherosclerotic lipids.Circ. Res. 2010; 106: 1332-1341
- Multimodal nonlinear optical imaging of atherosclerotic plaque development in myocardial infarction-prone rabbits.J. Biomed. Opt. 2010; 15: 020501
- Towards CARS endoscopy.Opt. Express. 2006; 14: 4427-4432
- Fiber delivered probe for efficient CARS imaging of tissues.Opt. Express. 2010; 18: 2380-2388
- Minimally invasive high-speed imaging of sarcomere contractile dynamics in mice and humans.Nature. 2008; 454: 784-788
- Bariatric surgery for morbid obesity.N. Engl. J. Med. 2007; 356: 2176-2183
- Pilot clinical study of an endoscopic, removable duodenal-jejunal bypass liner for the treatment of type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Technol. Ther. 2009; 11: 725-732
- Intestinal lipid absorption.Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 2009; 296: E1183-E1194
- A dynamic, cytoplasmic triacylglycerol pool in enterocytes revealed by ex vivo and in vivo coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering imaging.J. Lipid Res. 2009; 50: 1080-1089
- Inhibition of triglyceride synthesis as a treatment strategy for obesity: lessons from DGAT1-deficient mice.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2005; 25: 482-486
- Intestine specific expression of acyl CoA:diacylgylcerol acyltransferase 1 (DGAT1) reverses resistance to diet-induced hepatic steatosis and obesity in Dgat1−/− mice.J. Lipid Res. 2010; (In press)
- Lipid-rich carcinoma of the breast: a clinicopathologic analysis of 13 examples.Cancer. 1973; 33: 812-819
- H-1 MR spectroscopy detection of lipids and lactate in metastatic brain tumors.NMR Biomed. 1996; 9: 65-71
- Rosen's Breast Pathology. 3rd ed.Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, New York2008
- Fatty acid synthase and the lipogenic phenotype in cancer pathogenesis.Nat. Rev. Cancer. 2007; 7: 763-777
- Fatty acid synthase: a metabolic enzyme and candidate oncogene in prostate cancer.J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2009; 101: 519-532
- Coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering imaging of lipids in cancer metastasis.BMC Cancer. 2009; 9: 42
- Microfluidic CARS cytometry.Opt. Express. 2008; 16: 5782-5789
- Microfluidic electroporation of tumor and blood cells: observation of nucleus expansion and implications on selective analysis and purging of circulating tumor cells.Integr. Biol. 2010; 2: 113-120
- Nonlinear optical imaging to evaluate the impact of obesity on mammary gland and tumor stroma.Mol. Imaging. 2007; 6: 205-211
- Adipocyte-secreted factors synergistically promote mammary tumorigenesis through induction of anti-apoptotic transcriptional programs and proto-oncogene stabilization.Oncogene. 2003; 22: 6408-6423
- How matrix metalloproteinases regulate cell behavior.Annu. Rev. Cell Dev. Biol. 2001; 17: 463-516
- Navigating ECM barriers at the invasive front: the cancer cell-stroma interface.Annu. Rev. Cell Dev. Biol. 2009; 25: 567-595
- Cancer cell metabolism: Warburg and beyond.Cell. 2008; 134: 703-707
- Understanding the Warburg effect: the metabolic requirements of cell proliferation.Science. 2009; 324: 1029-1033
- Mechanisms of sensory transduction in the skin.Nature. 2007; 445: 858-865
- Quantitative detection of chemical compounds in human hair with coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy.J. Biomed. Opt. 2009; 14: 044019
- Demyelinating diseases - new pathological insights, new therapeutic targets.N. Engl. J. Med. 1998; 338: 323-325
- Basic Neurochemistry: Molecular, Cellular, and Medical Aspects.Raven Press Ltd., New York1994
- Coherent anti-stokes Raman scattering imaging of myelin degradation reveals a calcium-dependent pathway in lyso-PtdCho-induced demyelination.J. Neurosci. Res. 2007; 85: 2870-2881
- Glutamate excitotoxicity inflicts paranodal myelin splitting and retraction.PLoS ONE. 2009; 4: e6705
- real-time in vivo assessment of the nerve microenvironment with coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy.Plast. Reconstr. Surg. 2009; 123: 123s-130s
- Effective repair of traumatically injured spinal cord by nanoscale block copolymer micelles.Nat. Nanotechnol. 2010; 5: 80-87
- Quantitative myelin imaging with coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy: alleviating the excitation polarization dependence with circularly polarized laser beams.Opt. Express. 2009; 17: 18419-18432
- Multimodal nonlinear optical microscopy and applications to central nervous system imaging.IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quantum Electron. 2008; 14: 4-9
- Compact coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscope based on a picosecond two-color Er:fiber laser system.Opt. Lett. 2009; 34: 2847-2849
- High-power picosecond fiber source for coherent Raman microscopy.Opt. Lett. 2009; 34: 2051-2053
- Increasing the imaging depth of coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy with a miniature microscope objective.Opt. Lett. 2007; 32: 2212-2214
- The Principles of Nonlinear Optics.John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York1984
- Time-resolved coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy: imaging based on Raman free induction decay.Appl. Phys. Lett. 2002; 80: 1505-1507
- Background free CARS imaging by phase sensitive heterodyne CARS.Opt. Express. 2008; 16: 15863-15869
- Heterodyne coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering (CARS) imaging.Opt. Lett. 2006; 31: 241-243
- High-sensitivity vibrational imaging with frequency modulation coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering (FM CARS) microscopy.Opt. Lett. 2006; 31: 1872-1874
- Femtosecond stimulated Raman microscopy.Appl. Phys. B. 2007; 87: 389-393
- Label-free biomedical imaging with high sensitivity by stimulated Raman scattering microscopy.Science. 2008; 322: 1857-1861
- Analysis and experimental assessment of the sensitivity of stimulated Raman scattering microscopy.Opt. Express. 2009; 17: 3651-3658
- Vibrational imaging based on stimulated Raman scattering microscopy.N. J. Phys. 2009; 11: 033026
- Vibrational imaging of tablets by epi-detected stimulated Raman scattering microscopy.Analyst (Lond.). 2010; (10.1039/C0AN00252F)
- Label-free, real-time monitoring of biomass processing with stimulated Raman scattering microscopy.Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2010; 49 (10.1002/anie.201000900)
This work is supported by a Ruth L. Kirschstein NRSA postdoctoral fellowship F32HL089074 to T.T.L. and R01EB007243 and a Showalter grant to J-X.C.
User licenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy