Supplementary key words
Abbreviations:CPT (carnitine palmitoyltransferase), 3HB (D-3-hydroxybutyrate), Nrf2 (nuclear factor E2-related factor 2), OXPHOS (oxidative phosphorylation), RPE (retinal pigment epithelium), TCA cycle (tricarboxylic acid cycle), VLDLR (VLDL receptor)
Photoreceptor fuel sources
- Reidel B.
- Thompson J.W.
- Farsiu S.
- Moseley M.A.
- Skiba N.P.
- Arshavsky V.Y.
Retinal lipid composition
Lipid as photoreceptor energy source
- Yagyu H.
- Lutz E.P.
- Kako Y.
- Marks S.
- Hu Y.
- Choi S.Y.
- Bensadoun A.
- Goldberg I.J.
- Gong Y.
- Fu Z.
- Edin M.L.
- Liu C.H.
- Wang Z.
- Shao Z.
- Fredrick T.W.
- Saba N.J.
- Morss P.C.
- Burnim S.B.
- et al.
RPE and photoreceptors
- Izuta Y.
- Imada T.
- Hisamura R.
- Oonishi E.
- Nakamura S.
- Inagaki E.
- Ito M.
- Soga T.
- Tsubota K.
Müller glial cells and photoreceptors
Peroxisomal and mitochondrial β oxidation
Balance between lipid use and other energy substrates in retinas
Lipids and glucose
Lipid and amino acids
Fatty acid metabolism in other retinal cell types
Conflict of interest
Funding and additional information
- G proteins and phototransduction.Annu. Rev. Physiol. 2002; 64: 153-187
- Probing metabolism in the intact retina using stable isotope tracers.Methods Enzymol. 2015; 561: 149-170
- Cancer-like metabolism of the mammalian retina.Clin. Exp. Ophthalmol. 2015; 43: 367-376
- Visual excitation and recovery.J. Biol. Chem. 1991; 266: 10711-10714
- Dark current and photocurrent in retinal rods.Biophys. J. 1970; 10: 380-412
- ATP consumption by mammalian rod photoreceptors in darkness and in light.Curr. Biol. 2008; 18: 1917-1921
- Chemistry and metabolism of lipids in the vertebrate retina.Prog. Lipid Res. 1983; 22: 79-131
- Renewal of glycerol in the visual cells and pigment epithelium of the frog retina.J. Cell Biol. 1974; 62: 378-389
- Contribution of Muller cells toward the regulation of photoreceptor outer segment assembly.Neuron Glia Biol. 2004; 1: 291-296
- Targeted disruption of Muller cell metabolism induces photoreceptor dysmorphogenesis.Glia. 2000; 32: 192-204
- Photoreceptor outer segment phagocytosis attenuates oxidative stress-induced apoptosis with concomitant neuroprotectin D1 synthesis.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 2007; 104: 13158-13163
- Metabolism in frog retinal pigment epithelium of docosahexaenoic and arachidonic acids derived from rod outer segment membranes.Exp. Eye Res. 1993; 57: 369-377
- Glucose metabolism in pig outer retina in light and darkness.Acta Physiol. Scand. 1997; 160: 75-81
- Retinal energy demands control vascular supply of the retina in development and disease: The role of neuronal lipid and glucose metabolism.Prog. Retin. Eye Res. 2018; 64: 131-156
- On the metabolism of carcinoma cells.Bioschemische Zeitschrift. 1924; 152: 309-344
- The metabolism of tumors in the body.J. Gen. Physiol. 1927; 8: 519-530
- Biochemistry of the Eye.Academic Press, New York1970
- M-type pyruvate kinase isoforms and lactate dehydrogenase A in the mammalian retina: metabolic implications.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2016; 57: 66-80
- Proteomic profiling of a layered tissue reveals unique glycolytic specializations of photoreceptor cells.Mol. Cell. Proteomics. 2011; 10https://doi.org/10.1074/mcp.M110002469
- The Warburg effect mediator pyruvate kinase M2 expression and regulation in the retina.Sci. Rep. 2016; 6: 37727
- Glycolytic reliance promotes anabolism in photoreceptors.eLife. 2017; 6: e25946
- Pyruvate kinase and aspartate-glutamate carrier distributions reveal key metabolic links between neurons and glia in retina.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 2014; 111: 15579-15584
- Glucose metabolism in mammalian photoreceptor inner and outer segments.Clin. Exp. Ophthalmol. 2017; 45: 730-741
- Lactate released by Muller glial cells is metabolized by photoreceptors from mammalian retina.J. Neurosci. 1995; 15: 5179-5191
- Retinal metabolism: a comparative look at energetics in the retina.Brain Res. 2017; 1672: 50-57
- Protein biosynthesis and the hexose monophosphate shunt in the developing normal and dystrophic retina.in: Graymore C.N. Biochemistry of the Retina. Academic Press, New York1965: 73-90
- Retinal lipid and glucose metabolism dictates angiogenesis through the lipid sensor Ffar1.Nat. Med. 2016; 22: 439-445
- Vertebrate rod outer segment membranes.Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1973; 300: 255-288
- Lipid composition of the human eye: are red blood cells a good mirror of retinal and optic nerve fatty acids?.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e35102
- Retina and omega-3.J. Nutr. Metab. 2011; 2011: 748361
- Recycling of docosahexaenoic acid in rat retinas during n-3 fatty acid deficiency.J. Lipid Res. 1991; 32: 2009-2017
- Retinal pigment epithelial cells play a central role in the conservation of docosahexaenoic acid by photoreceptor cells after shedding and phagocytosis.Curr. Eye Res. 1992; 11: 73-83
- Visualization of [3H]docosahexaenoic acid trafficking through photoreceptors and retinal pigment epithelium by electron microscopic autoradiography.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 1993; 34: 2402-2411
- Visual cells and the concept of renewal.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 1976; 15: 700-725
- Fatty acid composition of the brain, retina, liver and adipose tissue of the grey mouse lemur (Microcebus murinus, primate).Lipids. 2012; 47: 793-801
- Transport of 22:6n-3 in the plasma and uptake into retinal pigment epithelium and retina.Exp. Eye Res. 1993; 57: 225-233
- Synthesis of docosahexaenoic acid by retina and retinal pigment epithelium.Biochemistry. 1993; 32: 13703-13709
- Polyunsaturated fatty acid metabolism in retinal and cerebral microvascular endothelial cells.J. Lipid Res. 1997; 38: 147-159
- Metabolism of linolenic acid and docosahexaenoic acid in rat retinas and rod outer segments.Exp. Eye Res. 1991; 53: 437-446
- Docosahexaenoic acid preserves visual function by maintaining correct disc morphology in retinal photoreceptor cells.J. Biol. Chem. 2017; 292: 12054-12064
- Dietary omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids decrease retinal neovascularization by adipose-endoplasmic reticulum stress reduction to increase adiponectin.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2015; 101: 879-888
- Adiponectin receptor 1 conserves docosahexaenoic acid and promotes photoreceptor cell survival.Nat. Commun. 2015; 6: 6228
- Increased dietary intake of omega-3-polyunsaturated fatty acids reduces pathological retinal angiogenesis.Nat. Med. 2007; 13: 868-873
- Association of retinopathy of prematurity with low levels of arachidonic acid: a secondary analysis of a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2018; 136: 271-277
- Oxidation of isotopic palmitic acid in animal tissues.J. Biol. Chem. 1950; 185: 191-200
- In vitro metabolism of palmitic acid in human fetal tissue.Pediatr. Res. 1972; 6: 675-681
- Oxidative stress in retinal degeneration promoted by constant LED light.Front. Cell. Neurosci. 2019; 13: 139
- Structure and dynamics of polyunsaturated hydrocarbon chains in lipid bilayers-significance for GPCR function.Chem. Phys. Lipids. 2008; 153: 64-75
- Stearic acid and carcinogenesis.Br. J. Cancer. 1987; 56: 455-458
- Cancer cell dependence on unsaturated fatty acids implicates stearoyl-CoA desaturase as a target for cancer therapy.Mol. Cancer Res. 2011; 9: 1551-1561
- Comparison between oleic acid and docosahexaenoic acid binding to interphotoreceptor retinoid-binding protein.Vision Res. 2003; 43: 3063-3067
- High metastaticgastric and breast cancer cells consume oleic acid in an AMPK dependent manner.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e97330
- Myocardial fatty acid metabolism in health and disease.Physiol. Rev. 2010; 90: 207-258
- The physiological regulation of skeletal muscle fatty acid supply and oxidation during moderate-intensity exercise.Sports Med. 2015; 45: S23-S32
- Expression of VLDLR in the retina and evolution of subretinal neovascularization in the knockout mouse model’s retinal angiomatous proliferation.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2008; 49: 407-415
- Inflammatory signals from photoreceptor modulate pathological retinal angiogenesis via c-Fos.J. Exp. Med. 2017; 214: 1753-1767
- Very low density lipoprotein (VLDL) receptor-deficient mice have reduced lipoprotein lipase activity. Possible causes of hypertriglyceridemia and reduced body mass with VLDL receptor deficiency.J. Biol. Chem. 2002; 277: 10037-10043
- Enhancement of the binding of triglyceride-rich lipoproteins to the very low density lipoprotein receptor by apolipoprotein E and lipoprotein lipase.J. Biol. Chem. 1995; 270: 15747-15754
- Long-chain fatty acid oxidation during early human development.Pediatr. Res. 2005; 57: 755-759
- Mitochondrial fatty acid beta-oxidation in the human eye and brain: implications for the retinopathy of long-chain 3-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency.Pediatr. Res. 2004; 56: 744-750
- Mitochondrial fatty acid beta-oxidation in the retinal pigment epithelium.Pediatr. Res. 2002; 52: 595-600
- Immunohistochemical localization of mitochondrial fatty acid β-oxidation enzymes in Müller cells of the retina.Histochem. Cell Biol. 2010; 134: 565-579
- Pigmentary retinopathy in long chain 3-hydroxyacyl-coenzyme A dehydrogenase deficiency.Am. J. Ophthalmol. 1997; 123: 846-848
- Observations regarding retinopathy in mitochondrial trifunctional protein deficiencies.Mol. Genet. Metab. 2012; 106: 18-24
- Regulation of lipid and lipoprotein metabolism by PPAR activators.Clin. Chem. Lab. Med. 2000; 38: 3-11
- PPARα is essential for retinal lipid metabolism and neuronal survival.BMC Biol. 2017; 15: 113
- Effect of fenofibrate on the need for laser treatment for diabetic retinopathy (FIELD study): a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2007; 370: 1687-1697
- Effects of medical therapies on retinopathy progression in type 2 diabetes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2010; 363: 233-244
- Therapeutic effects of PPARalpha agonists on diabetic retinopathy in type 1 diabetes models.Diabetes. 2013; 62: 261-272
- Fenofibrate inhibits cytochrome P450 epoxygenase 2C activity to suppress pathological ocular angiogenesis.EBioMedicine. 2016; 13: 201-211
- PPARalpha and PPARgamma activators direct a distinct tissue-specific transcriptional response via a PPRE in the lipoprotein lipase gene.EMBO J. 1996; 15: 5336-5348
- Examination of 209 drugs for inhibition of cytochrome P450 2C8.J. Clin. Pharmacol. 2005; 45: 68-78
- Cytochrome P450 oxidase 2C inhibition adds to omega-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids protection against retinal and choroidal neovascularization.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2016; 36: 1919-1927
- Cytochrome P450 2C8 omega3-long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid metabolites increase mouse retinal pathologic neovascularization–brief report.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2014; 34: 581-586
- Biochemical adaptations of the retina and retinal pigment epithelium support a metabolic ecosystem in the vertebrate eye.eLife. 2017; 6: e28899
- The retinal pigment epithelium in visual function.Physiol. Rev. 2005; 85: 845-881
- mTOR-mediated dedifferentiation of the retinal pigment epithelium initiates photoreceptor degeneration in mice.J. Clin. Invest. 2011; 121: 369-383
- Renewal of fatty acids in the membranes of visual cell outer segments.J. Cell Biol. 1974; 61: 327-343
- Retinoids for treatment of retinal diseases.Trends Pharmacol. Sci. 2010; 31: 284-295
- Retinyl ester storage particles (retinosomes) from the retinal pigmented epithelium resemble lipid droplets in other tissues.J. Biol. Chem. 2011; 286: 17248-17258
- Analysis of lipid deposits extracted from human macular and peripheral Bruch’s membrane.Arch. Ophthalmol. 1994; 112: 402-406
- Drusen as risk factors in age-related macular disease.Am. J. Ophthalmol. 1990; 109: 38-43
- Physiological and pathological roles of FATP-mediated lipid droplets in Drosophila and mice retina.PLoS Genet. 2018; 14: e1007627
- Isolation and composition of the carotenoid-containing oil droplets from cone photoreceptors.Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1976; 424: 235-245
- Multi-dimensional roles of ketone bodies in fuel metabolism, signaling, and therapeutics.Cell Metab. 2017; 25: 262-284
- Ketone body 3-hydroxybutyrate mimics calorie restriction via the Nrf2 activator, fumarate, in the retina.Aging Cell. 2018; 17https://doi.org/10.1111/acel.12699
- The retinal pigment epithelium utilizes fatty acids for ketogenesis.J. Biol. Chem. 2014; 289: 20570-20582
- Phagocytosis-dependent ketogenesis in retinal pigment epithelium.J. Biol. Chem. 2017; 292: 8038-8047
- Energy metabolism in human retinal Muller cells.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2000; 41: 3183-3190
- The cellular and compartmental profile of mouse retinal glycolysis, tricarboxylic acid cycle, oxidative phosphorylation, and ∼P transferring kinases.Mol. Vis. 2016; 22: 847-885
- Limited energy supply in Muller cells alters glutamate uptake.Neurochem. Res. 2014; 39: 941-949
- Regulation of glutamate metabolism by hydrocortisone and branched chain keto acids in cultured rat retinal Muller cells (TR-MUL).Neurochem. Int. 2011; 59: 656-663
- Synaptic efficacy enhanced by glial cells in vitro.Science. 1997; 277: 1684-1687
- New views on synapse-glia interactions.Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 1996; 6: 615-621
- Partial rescue of retinal function and sterol steady-state in a rat model of Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome.Pediatr. Res. 2007; 61: 273-278
- Retinal Muller glia secrete apolipoproteins E and J which are efficiently assembled into lipoprotein particles.Brain Res. Mol. Brain Res. 1997; 50: 113-120
- Apolipoprotein E is synthesized in the retina by Muller glial cells, secreted into the vitreous, and rapidly transported into the optic nerve by retinal ganglion cells.J. Biol. Chem. 1996; 271: 5628-5632
- Changes in CD44 and ApoE immunoreactivities due to retinal pathology of man and rat.J. Hirnforsch. 1997; 38: 223-229
- Lipoproteins in the central nervous system.Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 2000; 903: 167-175
- The role of APOE4 in disrupting the homeostatic functions of astrocytes and microglia in aging and Alzheimer’s disease.Front. Aging Neurosci. 2019; 11: 14
- Neurodegeneration in the central nervous system of apoE-deficient mice.Exp. Neurol. 1995; 136: 107-122
- Expression of glial fibrillary acidic protein in primary cultures of human Muller cells.Exp. Eye Res. 2004; 79: 423-429
- Evidence of Muller glia conversion into retina ganglion cells using neurogenin2.Front. Cell. Neurosci. 2018; 12: 410
- Peroxisomal beta-oxidation–a metabolic pathway with multiple functions.Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 2006; 1763: 1413-1426
- beta-Oxidation of polyunsaturated fatty acids by rat liver peroxisomes. A role for 2,4-dienoyl-coenzyme A reductase in peroxisomal beta-oxidation.J. Biol. Chem. 1986; 261: 16484-16493
- Retinal diseases associated with oxidative stress and the effects of a free radical scavenger (edaravone).Oxid. Med. Cell. Longev. 2017; 2017: 9208489
- Free radicals, antioxidants in disease and health.Int. J. Biomed. Sci. 2008; 4: 89-96
- Antioxidant or neurotrophic factor treatment preserves function in a mouse model of neovascularization-associated oxidative stress.J. Clin. Invest. 2009; 119: 611-623
- SOD2 knockdown mouse model of early AMD.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2007; 48: 4407-4420
- Antioxidant enzymes in the aging human retinal pigment epithelium.Arch. Ophthalmol. 1991; 109: 1285-1288
- Superoxide dismutase and catalase activities in the retina during experimental diabetes and electric stimulation of the paleocerebellar cortex.Bull. Exp. Biol. Med. 2014; 158: 206-208
- Glutathione-related enzymes and the eye.Curr. Eye Res. 2006; 31: 1-11
- Lutein: more than just a filter for blue light.Prog. Retin. Eye Res. 2012; 31: 303-315
- Effect of lutein on retinal neurons and oxidative stress in a model of acute retinal ischemia/reperfusion.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2009; 50: 836-843
- Nrf2 protects photoreceptor cells from photo-oxidative stress induced by blue light.Exp. Eye Res. 2017; 154: 151-158
- Oxidative Stress and the Nrf2 Anti-Oxidant Transcription Factor in Age-Related Macular Degeneration.Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 2016; 854: 67-72
- The Nrf2 regulatory network provides an interface between redox and intermediary metabolism.Trends Biochem. Sci. 2014; 39: 199-218
- NRF2 promotes neuronal survival in neurodegeneration and acute nerve damage.J. Clin. Invest. 2015; 125: 1433-1445
- Targeting the Nrf2 signaling pathway in the retina with a gene-delivered secretable and cell-penetrating peptide.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2016; 57: 372-386
- Autophagy: an essential degradation program for cellular homeostasis and life.Cells. 2018; 7: E278
- Autophagy in the retina: a potential role in age-related macular degeneration.Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 2012; 723: 83-90
- The importance of mitochondria in age-related and inherited eye disorders.Ophthalmic Res. 2010; 44: 179-190
- Lipofuscin granules in human photoreceptor cells.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 1988; 29: 671-679
- Autophagy supports survival and phototransduction protein levels in rod photoreceptors.Cell Death Differ. 2015; 22: 488-498
- Early AMD-like defects in the RPE and retinal degeneration in aged mice with RPE-specific deletion of Atg5 or Atg7.Mol. Vis. 2017; 23: 228-241
- Dysfunctional autophagy in RPE, a contributing factor in age-related macular degeneration.Cell Death Dis. 2017; 8: e2537
- Metabolic reprogramming in glioma.Front. Cell Dev. Biol. 2017; 5: 43
- Cellular fatty acid metabolism and cancer.Cell Metab. 2013; 18: 153-161
- The importance of serine metabolism in cancer.J. Cell Biol. 2016; 214: 249-257
- Branched-chain amino acid metabolism in cancer.Curr. Opin. Clin. Nutr. Metab. Care. 2018; 21: 64-70
- A possible role for malonyl-CoA in the regulation of hepatic fatty acid oxidation and ketogenesis.J. Clin. Invest. 1977; 60: 265-270
- Minireview: malonyl CoA, AMP-activated protein kinase, and adiposity.Endocrinology. 2003; 144: 5166-5171
- Serine and Lipid Metabolism in Macular Disease and Peripheral Neuropathy.N. Engl. J. Med. 2019; 381: 1422-1433
- Genome-wide analyses identify common variants associated with macular telangiectasia type 2.Nat. Genet. 2017; 49: 559-567
- Serine availability influences mitochondrial dynamics and function through lipid metabolism.Cell Rep. 2018; 22: 3507-3520
- Global metabolomics reveals metabolic dysregulation in ischemic retinopathy.Metabolomics. 2016; 12: 15
- Plasma glutamine and glutamic acid are potential biomarkers for predicting diabetic retinopathy.Metabolomics. 2018; 14: 89
- The dipeptide Arg-Gln inhibits retinal neovascularization in the mouse model of oxygen-induced retinopathy.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2006; 47: 3151-3155
- Fatty acid biosynthesis from glutamate and glutamine is specifically induced in neuronal cells under hypoxia.J. Neurochem. 2014; 129: 400-412
- Stimulation of glycogen synthesis and lipogenesis by glutamine in isolated rat hepatocytes.Biochem. J. 1987; 248: 429-437
- Highly differentiated human fetal RPE cultures are resistant to the accumulation and toxicity of lipofuscin-like material.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2019; 60: 3468-3479
- Fatty acid carbon is essential for dNTP synthesis in endothelial cells.Nature. 2015; 520: 192-197
- Identification of different macrophage subpopulations with distinct activities in a mouse model of oxygen-induced retinopathy.Int. J. Mol. Med. 2017; 40: 281-292
- Anti-inflammatory M2, but not pro-inflammatory M1 macrophages promote angiogenesis in vivo.Angiogenesis. 2014; 17: 109-118
- Integrating immunometabolism and macrophage diversity.Semin. Immunol. 2016; 28: 417-424
- Polarization of M2 macrophages requires Lamtor1 that integrates cytokine and amino-acid signals.Nat. Commun. 2016; 7: 13130
- Fatty acid oxidation in macrophage polarization.Nat. Immunol. 2016; 17: 216-217
- Fatty acid oxidation in macrophages and T cells: time for reassessment?.Cell Metab. 2018; 28: 538-540
- Dyslipidemia in retinal metabolic disorders.EMBO Mol. Med. 2019; 11: e10473
- The cellular origins of the outer retinal bands in optical coherence tomography images.Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2014; 55: 7904-7918
User licenseCreative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) |
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy